Chum salmon can be distinguished by its steel-blue back and black speckled silver body. Known as “Ikura”, chum salmon eggs are greatly appreciated and very popular in Japanese and European cuisine.
Dark - Good meat color, pale
ORIGIN: Canada, United States
AVAILABILITY: May to October
- Fishing technique: net caught, line caught.
- Its orange-pink flesh retains its color when cooked and is the least oily of Pacific wild salmon.
- It has a firm texture and a mild flavor.
- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and the highest in protein content of Pacific wild salmon.
- High in demand for steaks and fillets.